Friday, December 31, 2010
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Saturday, November 6, 2010
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
My poor white oil pencil keeps getting shorter and shorter. Pretty soon it will be just a little nub of a thing and I'll have to toss it. I hate tossing pencils. I will work with them until I cannot find a sharpener that will get the job done - usually leaving me drawing with a little 3/4" stub of a pencil, fingers protesting at working with such a small object.
Of course I couldn't stop there. I got to thinking, "What if I did this?" and "What if I did that?" and had to grab the next commission order that had been neglected due to the complexity of it's color - a portrait gray on an Esperenza (the original) body. This order has been gnawing at me for a while, but I have learned from experience that when I struggle with a horse, just set it down and there will come a time when everything will fall oh-so-easily into place and the end result will be a million times better than if I were to have sat there and fought with it. Sure enough, this piece's time has finally come and I am moving on her! I feel I've matched the owner's mare perfectly! I've already painted over the other side of the piece and the areas already started to continue on with this new technique.
Here is the mare that she's a portrait of:
The last two pieces are sales pieces - the Rose Reiner and the Mini Ziryab. Mini Zyrab was another experimental piece and while I like the look of her, she's a different technique than the two above. I'm also working on a Rose Jezebel in dapple rose gray using the above technique and I'm finding out it doesn't lend itself as well to that small small scale. This is the reason I call them experimental pieces. I learn what works and what doesn't on what scale. I think I'll try a hybrid of the two techniques next time on a mini and see how it serves.
Mini Zyrab painted with wet on wet oils and then pencil detailing on top:
I'd like to see her dapples smaller and less uniform, but I'll continue onto her other side with the intent of matching this one. I'll know for next time to shrink them up.
And below is the Rose Reiner sales piece done in a more contrasty darker dapple gray with a lighter fore.
So I guess the story of this whole bit is that even if you have been painting forever, it's good to try new things out. The learning process is NEVER over and there is always room to achieve more. I for one am excited to start applying this technique over different base colors - I have a Gomez I am customizing for my own show string that I'll be painting dappled buckskin going gray. I'm eager to see if this technique will translate!
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
It's been really sunny here lately, as CO tends to be, but this last week we've gotten a little breather in the form of misty rainy weather. It's been wonderfully cool at about 60 during the day to break up all that mid 80's stuff. This is actually my favorite weather. Everything becomes so green and there is a magical feel to everything around me. We are usually quite literally in a cloud.
During the first day of this, as the rain storm was beginning to let up and move on, we were pleasantly surprised to see this double rainbow in our property. Hubby immediately told me to go run and grab the camera before they disappeared, as those elusive rainbows tend to do. This is our barn, though the horses are on the other side of the field when this was taken. You can't see it in this photo, but when the skies are clear, if you were to look where that ridge behind us goes down to the right there, the city can be seen. We call it our CO ocean because it almost looks like the rolling seas.
Monday, June 14, 2010
So, my way to start off the donation line up was to paint a piece that had just been sitting base-coated in my studio for *years*. Enter Sarah Mink's Feral Mare medallion. She's up on Auction Barn right now! Be sure to check out all the other fantastic items hobbyists have donated as well in that special Flying Hearts Fundraiser auction section.
Thursday, June 3, 2010
Saturday, April 10, 2010
After about 2 and 1/2 weeks from now, I plan to be fully caught up on all my Darcy, Beth, Gawyn, and SG orders and will start on Legacy and Darling orders. Those should take me about 3 weeks to get caught up on as well. Darling is actually my NAN donation horse this year too. My creative juices have been overflowing and I have been near twitching to start new pieces. I have so many ideas lined up in my head it's starting to get crowded up there. ;)
A lot of you are probably asking, "Well, why didn't you just have her digitally reduced like Mini Scarlett was and Bitty Bosco was?" The digital reduction process is *extremely* expensive (like around $2K). I've also heard that the master copy you get to work on has these lines running through the resin, which is extremely hard and difficult to sand down. Mane and tails are so bad as to almost be easier to resculpt. So, I thought it'd be more fun (and certainly easier on the wallet) to sculpt the complete piece from scratch and save myself all that not-fun work.
I thought it'd be a fun and interesting thing to see the process of her morphing into a blob on wires to somthing that resembled a horse. She still has lots of issues here that will be sanded down and redone, but again, these are the early stages and just shown as a explanatory peek into the process of sculpting a mini with Apoxy Sculpt, sand paper, and carbide scrapers. More to come. :)